Servings 1 galette
- Pizza stone
- 15-inch diameter pizza pan or similar
- Pastry cloth
- Melon baller
- Pastry brush
For the galette
- 1 recipe Quick Puff Pastry
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4-6 firm tart apples (Haralson, Braeburn, Honey Crisp, Sweet Tango, or similar) (approx. 1 2/3 pounds)
- 1 cup raw cranberries (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1/4 cup candied or crystalized ginger, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- 2 tbsps Unsalted cultured butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsps cream, 1/2 & 1/2, or milk
- 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
For the glaze
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves (Bonne Maman or similar)
- 4 tsps apple brandy (or similar)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- If you have a pizza stone, place that in the oven to heat for at least ½ hour.
Roll out dough and place on baking pan
- Place dough on lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Roll dough into circle about 3-4 inches in diameter larger that the pan you will use for baking the galette.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on pan.
- Place dough on pan. Dough should hang over the side of the pan by 1 ½ to 2 inches.
- Fold overhanging edge of dough back onto pan.
- Refrigerate or freeze dough for at least 1/2 hour.
- Place lemon zest and one tbsp lemon juice in large mixing bowl.
- One apple at a time, peel each apple, cut it in half, remove core (I use a melon baller), cut off stem and remaining skin, and slice the apple into slices about 3/16 inches thick.
- As slices are cut, place them in bowl with lemon juice and zest and stir to coat. (This helps prevent the apple slices from turning brown.)
- Arrange apple slices on the dough, cored sides facing the center, overlapping in concentric circles, starting from the outer edge of the pan.
- If using, scatter cranberries, rosemary, and/or ginger over apple slices.
- Dot apple slices with pieces of butter.
- Fold overhanging dough over outer edge of apples, pleating softly at intervals.
- Using pastry brush, brush dough rim with cream.
- Sprinkle sugar over apple slices and rim.
- Bake galette approx. 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, cover galette loosely with foil to prevent the rim and cranberries from burning.
- Cool galette until warm before applying glaze.
Prepare and apply glaze
- In small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat preserves until boiling.
- Stir in brandy.
- Brush glaze onto apples.
Additional toppings such as cranberries, rosemary, and candied or crystalized ginger can be added. Galette is best baked and eaten the same day. Adapted from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Pie & Pastry Bible.