Servings 1 pie
- Pastry cloth
- 9-inch Pyrex pie pan
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Pizza stone
- Pastry brush
- 12-inch pizza pan or similar
- 1 recipe Pie Crust for Two-Crust Pie
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (zest and juice)
- 6 firm tart apples (Haralson, Braeburn, Honey Crisp, Sweet Tango, or similar)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsps unsalted cultured butter
- 4 tsps cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cream, 1/2 and 1/2, or milk
Prepare bottom crust
- Mix together egg white and 1/2 tsp water.
- On pastry cloth, roll larger piece of dough until approx. 12 inches in diameter.
- Place rolled dough in pie pan.
- Brush dough in pan with egg white and water mixture.
- Place dough in refrigerator.
Prepare filling – part one
- Place lemon zest, lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large mixing bowl and mix well.
- One apple at a time, peel each apple, cut it in half, remove core (I use a melon baller), and cut off stem and remaining skin.
- Place each apple half cut side down on cutting board. Cut in half, then cut halves into slices 3/8 inch thick.
- Add slices to bowl with lemon zest and juice and stir to coat. (This helps prevent the apple slices from turning brown.)
- Allow apples to macerate at room temperature for between 30 minutes and 3 hours.
Prepare filling – part two
- Transfer apples and their juices to colander suspended over large mixing bowl to capture juices. The mixture should release at least 1/3 cup of liquid.
- Place liquid and butter in small sauce pan.
- Boil liquid, swirling but not stirring, until syrupy and lightly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, transfer apples to second large mixing bowl.
- Toss apples with cornstarch until all traces of cornstarch have disappeared.
- Pour syrup over apples, tossing gently. (If syrup hardens on contact with apples, it will dissolve during baking.)
Prepare top crust
- Roll out second piece of dough into 12-inch circle.
- If using pizza stone, place in oven on middle or lower rack.
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F.
- Transfer apple mixture to pie shell.
- Place top crust over pie.
- Trim, if necessary, so there is an overhang of approx. 1 inch.
- Fold overhang under.
- Press top and bottom crusts together with thumb, leaving closely spaced thumbprints around entire circumference of pie.
- Mix together egg yolk and 1 tablespoon cream, 1/2 and 1/2, or milk.
- Brush mixture over entire top crust.
- Cut ventilation slits in top crust.
- Place pie on 12-inch pizza pan or similar, to catch drips.
- Place pie and pan in oven, on pizza stone.
- After approx. 1/2 hour, cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent crust from burning.
- Bake for approx. 1 hour, until juices inside are thick.
- Cool on rack at least 4 hours before cutting.