Black Walnut Pie
Servings 1 pie
- Baking sheet
- Pastry cloth
- 9-inch Pyrex pie pan
- 1 recipe Pie Crust for One-Crust Pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups black walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsps unsalted cultured butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out pie crust pastry and place in pie pan, making extra-high, fluted rim.
- In large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs by hand.
- Add lemon juice, corn syrup, vanilla, brown sugar, nuts, and butter.
- Stir by hand long enough to begin dissolving sugar but not enough to incorporate air into filling. Do not beat.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake on cookie sheet for 1 hour or until center of pie no longer is loose and nuts are browned.
- Let pie come to room temperature before cutting.
Adapted from Hammons Products Company.