Servings 3 cups
- Jelly roll pan or cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tblp unsalted cultured butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Morton's coarse kosher salt
- 2 tsps vanilla extract OR
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups raw pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine maple syrup, melted butter, salt, vanilla or bourbon, cinnamon, and cayenne (if using).
- Whisk until blended.
- Add pecans and stir to coat.
- Spread pecan mix on parchment paper in single layer.
- Stir after 10 minutes, and the every 5 minutes after that, until almost no maple syrup remains on parchment paper and nuts are deeply golden, approx. 23-26 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and stir one more time, spreading nuts in even layer across pan.
- Let cool for approx. 10 minutes.
- While nuts are still warm, separate any large lumps.
- Let nuts cool completely on pan.
Candied pecans keep for up to 2 months in sealed bag at room temperature. Adapted from Cookie and Kate.