Ginger Ice Cream
Servings 1 pint
- Ice cream machine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsps fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
Prepare custard – part one
- In medium pot, combine cream, milk, sugar, grated ginger, cinnamon, clove, and salt.
- Bring mixture to simmer over medium heat.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Steep for 1 hour.
Prepare custard – part two
- In medium bowl, whisk egg yolks together.
- While whisking constantly, slowly add 1/3 of cream mixture into yolks.
- Whisk that mixture back into pot containing cream mixture.
- Return pot to medium-low heat.
- Gently cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon (approx. 170 degrees F).
Prepare custard – part three
- Strain mixture through fine mesh into medium bowl.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Make ice cream
- Churn mixture in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- During final minute of churning, add chopped candied ginger.
- Serve immediately or store in freezer.
Adapted from New York Times, by Melissa Clark.