Lemon Pound Cake
Servings 1 cake
- KitchenAId mixer (or similar)
- Bundt pan
- 1 pound unsalted cultured butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (zest for cake and juice for glaze)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsps lemon extract
- 4 cups King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Butter and flour Bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare cake batter
- In mixer fitted with paddle attachment and set on higest speed, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon zest. Beat briefly.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after adding each egg.
- In separate bowl, mix together milk and lemon extract.
- In another bowl, mix together flour and baking powder.
- Add 1/3 of dry mix to butter mix. Beat briefly at lowest speed.
- Add 1/2 of wet mix. Beat briefly at lowest speed.
- Add 1/2 of remaining dry mix. Beat briefly at lowest speed.
- Add remaining wet mix. Beat briefly at lowest speed.
- Add remaining dry mix. Beat briefly at lowest speed.
- Pour cake batter into buttered and floured Bundt pan.
Bake and glaze
- Bake one hour to one hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out dry.
- Remove baked cake from oven and let cook in pan for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn cake out onto a plate.
- Make glaze by stirring together 1/3 cup lemon juice and 3/4 cup white sugar until well mixed.
- Brush glaze all over hot cake until absorbed.
- Let cake cool completely before serving.
Pound cake adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook. Glaze adapted from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Desserts.