Servings 2 cups
- (1) wide-mouthed one-quart canning jar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, large, sliced thinly
- 1 lemon, peel from (use peel in recipe; save juice for other uses)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped coarsely
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cups olives (black, green, or mix) (approx. 3/4 pounds)
- Combine oil, vinegar, bay leaves, and garlic in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until just warm.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon peel, thyme, rosemary, and fennel seeds.
- Place olives in jar.
- Pour in mixture.
- Shake jar to coat olives.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
- Shake jar a few times a day to redistribute seasonings.