Servings 8 ramekins
- (8) 2/3-cup ramekins, custard cups, or coffee cups
- 1 1/2 tsps unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbsps cold water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsps high-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps saba syrup
- Place cold water in small bowl.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
Prepare panna cotta
- Put cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla in 3-quart saucepan.
- Warm mixture over medium-high heat, until warm to touch. Do not let mixture boil.
- Stir in gelatin until throughly dissolved.
- Take cream off heat.
- Cool approx. 5 minutes.
- Put sour crean in medium bowl.
- Gently wisk in warm cream a little at a time until smooth.
- Taste for sweetness and if desired add another teaspoon of sugar.
- Rinse ramekins with cold water.
- Fill each ramekin 3/4 full with cream.
- Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Serve in ramekins. If prefer, unmold by packing ramekins in hot towels and turning each out onto a dessert plate.
- Drizzle approx. 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar or saba syrup over each portion of panna cotta.
Adapted from Italian Country Table, by Lynn Rosetto Kasper.