- Kitchen scale
- KitchenAId mixer (or similar)
- 8 quart mixing bowl
- 2 tbsps active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/4 lbs 00 flour (approx. 7 cups; can substitute King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 1 tbsp course kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for large mixing bowl)
- Heat water until warm, ~105° to 115° F.
- Fit paddle attachment to mixer.
- Put flour, yeast and salt in mixer's bowl.
- Using slowest speed, mix until ingredients are combined.
- Add warm water and olive oil.
- Using highest speed, mix until mixture forms think batter.
- Run mixer for a couple more minutes.
- Add 1 T olive oil to mixing bowl.
- Pour dough into mixing bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap of cloth.
- Put bowl in warm place.
- Let rise for 2 hours or more. Dough should be light and wet.
Dough can be used immediately after it has risen, refrigerated for use later that day or the next day, or frozen and used later.