Potato Leek Soup
- One-gallon soup pot
- 4 tbsps unsalted cultured butter
- 2 large leeks (or 3 medium leeks)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups Yukon potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Cut ends and green parts off leeks.
- Cut leeks lengthwise.
- Wash cut leeks.
- Cut leeks into approx. 1/4 inch slices.
- Peel potatoes and cut into approx. 3/4 inch cubes.
- Melt butter in pot.
- Add leeks.
- Saute leeks slowly until glassy.
- Add broth and potatoes.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cover.
- Cook until potatoes are soft, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- If desired, use potato masher to mash soup slightly. Leave chunks, rather than mashing all the potatoes.
- Add milk, cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat gently. Do not boil.