Servings 6 preserved lemons
- (1) 1 quart canning jar with lid and band
- 1 cup coarse kosher salt
- 6 thin-skinned lemons
- 1 cup lemon juice (plus more as needed)
- Scrub and quarter lemons.
- Place salt in shallow bowl.
- Coat each lemon quarter with salt and place in 1-quart canning jar. The last wedges may need to be gently forced into the jar.
- Add remaining salt.
- Add 1 cup lemon juice.
- Cover jar and shake a little to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Uncover jar and add enough lemon juice to reach to lip of jar.
- Store jar on countertop for 1 day.
- If lemons not completely covered with lemon juice, uncover jar, add enough lemon juice to cover lemons, and cover jar again.
- Store jar on countertop for 6 more days, shaking jar at least once a day.
- The lemons are ready to use.
Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.