Spicy Simmered Eggs with Kale and Potato
- Large cast iron frying pan with lid
- Medium cast iron frying pan
- 2 tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large/medium Yukon or similar potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For greens and eggs
- 2 T unsalted cultured butter
- 4 scallions, white and green parts chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches kale or similar greens, stem end removed and greens chopped coarsely
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 large eggs
- Additional salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Saute potatoes until soft and golden brown.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in large frying pan over low heat.
- Add scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add half the greens and saute, stirring frequently, until greens begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining greens and repeat.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens soften, about 6 minutes.
- Use back of a spoon to create pocket for each egg in greens. (Depending on the green used, this may not be possible.)
- Crack one egg into each pocket.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Cover pan and let eggs cook until almost opaque, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Let eggs rest, covered, until done to taste.
- Put cooked potatoes in four shallow bowls.
- Place greens and eggs on top of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste.
Adapted from Williams Sonoma.