Servings 2 quarts (plus 1/2 pint starter)
- Pot large enough to hold (2) one-quart canning jars and (1) half-pint canning jar
- one-gallon thick-bottomed pot
- 3/4-quart saucepan
- (2) one-quart canning jars with lids and bands
- (1) half-pint canning jar with lid and band
- quick-read thermometer
- canning funnel
- Cooler large enough to hold (2) one-quart canning jars and (1) half-pint canning jar
- 1/2 gallon high quality whole milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt, as starter (from previous batch of yogurt, or high-quality yogurt with active cultures and no sweeteners or thickeners)
- Pour milk into one-gallon pot.
- Bring milk just to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- After milk has come to boil, let milk cool to between 105 and 110 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place 2) one-quart canning jars and (1) half-pint canning jar in large pot.
- Fill large pot with enough water to fully cover canning jars and then one inch more.
- Bring water in large pot to a boil, then set to simmer while heated milk cools.
- Put lids and bands in small saucepan.
- Add water to saucepan to cover lids and bands.
- Put saucepan on burner and turn heat to low, bringing water to simmer.
Prepare yogurt and place in jars
- Stir starter yogurt into milk.
- Remove a one-quart canning jar from large pot. Using ladle and funnel, fill with milk/yogurt mix. Leave 1/2 gap at top of jar.
- Remove second one-quart canning jar from large pot and fill with milk/yogurt mix.
- Remove half-pint canning jar from large pot and fill with milk/yogurt mix.
- Remove lids from saucepan and put on jars. Remove bands from sauceoan and screw on jars. Tighten by hand.
- Fill cooler about 1/3 full with hot water from pot.
- Add cold water to cooler, until water temperature reaches 105 and 110 degrees F.
- Place jars in cooler. There should be enough water to cover the jars.
- Leave jars in cooler for 24 hours.
- Remove jars from cooler, wipe dry, and store in refrigerator.